bankruptcy lawyer buffalo ny
Bankruptcy Chapters
Automatic Stay
Bankruptcy Exemptions
Means Test
Payment Advises
Credit Counseling
Client Documents
Bankruptcy Blog
bankruptcy lawyer buffalo ny

Clients Rights

Bankruptcy Budget Calculator

Add the Bankruptcy Budget Calculator to your Website

If this site helped you in any way please give a positive review on g+ below

Google+ Follow Underwood_Law on TwitterFacebook

Judgments, Bankruptcy Lawyer Buffalo NY

judgment lien bankruptcy lawyer buffalo ny

What if I have a Judgment?

If you have been served with a Summons and Complaint generally you will have 20 days to serve an Answer. If you fail to Answer, the creditor will take a Default Judgment against you.

Once a Judgment is properly recorded in the County where the Debtor owns Real Property, it automatically becomes a lien on the Debtor's real property.

After the Creditor receives the Judgment and it is duly recorded the creditor will usually start enforcing the Judgment by filing a Restraining Notice against your Bank Accounts.

The Creditor may also serve you with an Information Subpoena requesting that you answer questions about what assets you own, the location of the assets, and where you are employed. If you fail to answer the questions you may be held in Contempt of Court until you respond.

Once the Creditor knows your information the Creditor may Garnish your Wages, and Seize your assets.

Will the Bankruptcy get rid of the Judgment?

If all of the Debtor's assets are exempt, the Bankruptcy will prevent the Creditor from collecting on the Judgment. If the debtor owns real property, the debtor will have to file a motion to avoid the lien under 11 USC 522(f) that is impairing the homestead exemption.

One year after the Debtor is discharged, the debtor should file a Motion to Cancel the Judgment pursuant to Debtor and Creditor Law 150 to prevent the Judgment from attaching to after acquired real property.

If you want to file for Bankruptcy to get a fresh start, and are searching for an experienced Bankruptcy Attorney, look no further.

Free Consultation:

Please call (716)-656-7676 or CONTACT US for your free consultation. The first consultation is always free, and you will always speak directly to Stephen K. Underwood.

Stephen K. Underwood, Bankruptcy Attorney
1395 Union Road West Seneca, NY 14224
Phone: 716-656-7676 URL of Map